Pages

Saturday 12 March 2011

About Discrimination in Egypt



Since I can remember I grew up with Nada who is a Muslim girl, we attended school together, went everywhere and did everything together. And since I have no sisters she was the best sister I could have ever got. Of course it was not acceptable by a hell of people specially my grandmother from my father’s side – sorry to write that before telling you about it – as she hates Muslims and we always have the same fights over and over when she says that “they can never be trusted” or “they hate us – Copts –“ but on the other side I have to admit that she has her excuse as she witnessed the massacre of Suez that happened in Jan 1952 when she was only 19 she saw her uncle taken, dragged by a hook in the streets and bled to death in front of her eyes by Muslim Brotherhood extremists, then heard her neighbor calling for them and pointing towards a building shouting “This building belongs to Christians go kill them”.

So, anyway I do still fight with her almost every time I see her to explain how Islam is just a religion like any other religion and how she is acting the same like those who discriminate against us.

On the other side, I will never forget how when I was about 7 years old returning from my religion class in school – in schools Christians leave the classroom in religion class to attend it in another room – a friend told me “the heaven belongs to us but you will all go to hell cause you worship 3 Gods” so I replied sarcastically “who told you so!” with a smiling face, and her reply was the religion teacher told us that God says so. Of course I was devastated and didn’t even tell my parents about it.

Another incident when I was walking in the classroom and heard the Arabic language teacher saying how the Higri date is away important than the Georgian one!!.  When I grew up now I keep thinking that putting into consideration that my school was a private expensive school, how the hell is this thing going in poor governmental schools where ignorance & the lack of education are ones of its most features?

I have to admit that Nada’s mother – who is veiled – and her sister can be considered as one family in millions of Muslim families in Egypt who are more than OK with them being friends with a Christian man which is 2 things no one accepts, it just doesn’t happen and I am really lucky to know them as I can’t imagine my life without having a friend like her who stood beside me in every single problem I faced during the past at least 10 years better than any other boy or a Christian cause it just doesn’t matter, a good friend is a good friend whatever his or her religion is.

My happiest day ever was on the 6th of January 2011 after the Alexandria church explosion when Hossam Eid and Wael Khalil who I knew from twitter came to my church and attended the mass which was really boring just to show solidarity with Copts. I took Ahmed – Wael’s son – to play with the kids outside as it was really boring inside listening to prayers for hours. When I saw how the kids kept making fun of racism telling each other “yea someone came to blow us” and my brother who was telling Ahmed “there are a lot of chicks here let’s see if we can get some” in a church being together with a Muslim I was thinking to myself saying “A kid like that will definitely grow up to be a perfect citizen as he will never ever be one of the racists”.

Since I believe that the first step to solve a problem is admitting the existence of the problem itself, I do have to admit that religious discrimination do EXIST in Egypt with all those massacres, churches being looted, Sheikhs spreading violence and racism on TVs without being sued, etc…

In Sweden for example, religion classes are just to give the kids an idea about all religions not to brainwash them with their religion and how perfect it is and other religions are just bullshit.

From my point of view the most important thing is how the kids are brought up at home; my mother always told me how it is not important your friends’ religion but the morals are the important ones. I don’t know what we should do to reach those sick parents who teach their children how to discriminate against others but there must be a solution. And I hope everyone can contribute with such solutions to help us put an end to this in our beloved country.

PS: saying "all my friends are muslims/christians" and all this priest/sheikh thing will never work!

5 comments:

  1. u made me cry , So nice Words .

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE GOING TO BURN IN HELLLLLLLL ... NOTT :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally believe that religion classes shall be banned from schools. Ethics/Morals classes are way more important than the typical religious blah blah blah.

    If you really want to teach children religion, you'll have to start with improving their critical/logical thinking skills, then later on - when they're grown enough - you can teach them religion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK..I totally agree with being against discrimination and doing everything one can do to eliminate it.. Nonetheless, I see you have fell for the trap of being discriminative yourself ya Mina.. let me explain :)

    You used the word "Copts" in reference to modern Egyptian Orthodox Christians; this is a widely-spread false belief. "Copts" refer to a race or a "bloodline", not a religious group. I'll support my point with The Bible.

    According to Genesis, Caphtorim - or Copt - is the 7th son of Mizraim - Misr is named after him - who is the 2nd son of Ham, the youngest son of Noah.

    Having established that, it's needless to say that many "Copts" have converted to Islam upon the Islamic conquest of Roman tyranny in Egypt. Reason for that is a big portion of converts were Arians - followers of Arius's teachings - and for them Islam made more sense the the Holy Trinity and the divinity of Issa Alaih AlSalam -Jesus - which they already opposed before Islam came to Egypt. The descendants of those converts are currently "Muslim Copts" and nobody can deny that. Referring to Egyptian Orthodox Christians as "Copts" is racist & discriminative as it implies Egyptian Muslims, especially the descendants of those converts are aliens to the country.

    Unfortunately the wide-spread common mistake is actually spread because many - if not all - priests, preachers, and even the Patriarch Shenouda III uses it themselves in this racist discriminative context for political purposes and benefits. The saddening fact is that those "Men of God" have this knowledge I listed above from The Bible, yet they overlook and and spread the false discriminative use of the word "Copts".

    I'm sure you were using it in this context out of innocent ignorance to its true historical meaning ya Mina...right? :)

    Another things is when you say :
    "Since I believe that the first step to solve a problem is admitting the existence of the problem itself, I do have to admit that religious discrimination do EXIST in Egypt with all those massacres, churches being looted, Sheikhs spreading violence and racism on TVs without being sued, etc… "

    I totally agree with the 1st half of the paragraph up until the word "Egypt. But you referring to some Sheikh's hate speeches while overlooking the priests and preachers who preach hate speeches in churches and on TV as well in contradictory to you cause/goal of fighting discrimination and racism. If you did that subconsciously then it's a form of preferential double standards at its peak, if you did it consciously then it's an act of hypocrisy my friend! No hard feelings, I'm a straight-forward guy and I call things what they are :)

    Think about my words before your tendency to defend your article blinds your logic and sense Mina.

    One last thing is, remember "Good intentions are never good enough if the means to carry it out are not as good"

    Wa AlSalam Alikum Wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakatoh

    Peace Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your reply :)

    So you chose to disregard the historical facts, and falling for the trap of being discriminative yourself and contradicting your message, over admitting you were preaching a piece of incorrect and inaccurate info, and think it's not is not big deal. Your choice :) but this jeopardizes the validity of your information my friend.

    That being said.. I wasn't pointing fingers, I was making sure the article becomes balanced with this reply that shows both sides, instead of your single-handed view of "pointing fingers".

    There are no thousands of acts of "religious-based" violence in Egypt, there has been a few "hate-based" incidents in Egypt in the past 50 years; well under 15-20 maybe. don't fall for the hype of the media propaganda machine that tries to split Egyptians apart. Labeling regular street fights - that take place everyday on Egypt's streets over secular reasons without religion being involved - a "hate act" is deceptive. Just because the fight took place between 2 people who belong to different religions, doesn't mean it was over "religious reasons" ; it's mostly over monetary reasons, parking spots, the right to pass with your car 1st...etc Get your facts straight man :)

    And the way you preach it only helps to agitate fire and does not create solutions. that's my simple modest humble opinion.

    Peace out :)

    ReplyDelete